Welcome

Carousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel image

Welcome to the Towers of Rule website. This has been established by a community history group as a way of sharing information and as an easily accessible resource for those interested in some of the history of Rulewater and adjacent districts. The area covered extends over the parishes of Hobkirk, Southdean, Bedule and Cavers. For now, the focus is on the sites of towers built in the 16th Centaury and some of the associated events and happenings that went on there. One of our areas of work is gathering information on the series of raids of the 1540’s, when English forces and other paid troops laid waste to parts of Rulewater and Teviotdale, in a campaign sometimes called ‘the rough wooing’. One particular raid was that led by the Earl of Hertford in 1545, where much of the northern part of the valley was burnt. While most of this Heritage in Rulewater is now below the ground, a more extensive resource of late medieval remains is still visible in parts of Southdean Parish. We aim to investigate the accessible sites and build up a better picture of their history and evolution. Work is ongoing to do surveys and digital modelling of the accessible sites, allowing better interpretation and understanding for visitors and local people.